Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hey, have you heard the one about...

Great storytellers are rare, and Andre was one of them.



In the time I was fortunate enough to spend with Andre, he never failed to make me laugh. Normally it had nothing to do with the quality of the joke (most of you will understand!) but instead the unreserved enthusiasm and delight of the teller. The twinkle in Andre's eyes was infectious. He so easily elicited laughter, life's greatest panacea, often long before the punchline was delivered.



Shortly after Andre's service his great friend Gordon put his arm around my shoulder and said he had a joke for me, one that Andre had told him a few days before. After the joke, which I share with you below, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. We did both in equal measure. I have a feeling it's what a great storyteller would've wanted.





A man drives into town determined to have a big night out.

Spotting a nightclub with a line at the door he parks and excitedly heads off toward the club.

Reaching the top of the queue, he is is stopped by the outstretched arm of a burly bouncer, who looks down at him.



"Sorry Sir, can't get in without a tie."



The man pleads his case but the bouncer is insistent. Dejected, he heads back to his car.

Sitting in the driver's seat, keys in the ignition, he suddenly has a great idea.

He jumps out of the car and heads around to the boot, opening it he grabs the set of jumper leads he keeps in case of emergency and fashions a tie of sorts.

After a quick check of his reflection in a shop window, he strolls confidently back to the club.

When he reaches the top of the queue, the bouncers arm stretches out again, blocking his entry.

The man looks up at him,



"What's the problem, I've got a tie"



The bouncer looks down and slowly lowers his arm,



"Alright mate, you can come in...



...just don't start anything."

3 comments:

  1. A great story about a great story teller and a beautiful, poignant tribute to Andre. I can see why that joke appealed to him. I had not heard it before, but it's one I'll remember. Thank you Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom, what I liked about the jokes which got told when you, Andre & Co. got together was quite how varied they were, from groan-inducing playground jokes to way beyond risqué.

    There was once one so offensive it couldn't be told out loud, only whispered (we were in a public place). After much pestering on my part I finally got told it and immediately wished I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He didn't tell me this joke, but he loved this type of joke didn't he?? a great story, thanks Tom.

    ReplyDelete